Saturday, August 31, 2013

Screw You, Wan-Yu Elisa Chan

In the interest of equality, I’m including San Antonio District Nine City Councilwoman Elisa Chan as an Honoree Dumbass.  You see, if I excluded her from this little blog of mine, some might think I was racist in that Asians are being treated differently in that they aren’t properly represented here.

For those of you who don’t know the story, here’s a summary, followed by a few links to stories about her crass dumbassery:

Elisa Chan was recorded by a former aide at a meeting spewing homophobic gems like:
·         “You know, to be quite honest, I know this is not politically correct.  I never bought in that you are born,  that you are born gay. I can't imagine it.”
·         “I will say, 'Strip down! What equipment do you have?'” “I'm telling you. Crazy. We're getting to crazy    realm.”
·         After being advised that the newspapers will “get” her:  “That's why I never would say that outside because they kill me.” When I say that it's ... behavioral preference, they say that, 'No, you're born with it.' But I never bought into that.”
·        In response to her former Chief of Policy Jeff Bazan telling her that gay people can be identified by their faces alone (yeah, someone really said that), she said, “No, that's because they shave. And I also think they could take hormone shots.”
·         This is my philosophy, guys.”
·         “Whatever you want to do in your bedroom is none of my business, but do not impose your view on other people, especially becoming policy ... because personally, I think it's just disgusting just to even think about. All the definitions…”
·         By the way, this is politically incorrect,” she told her aides. “I don't think homosexual people should do adoption. They should be banned by adoption. You're going to confuse those kids. They should be banned.”  She also said, “If you wanted to choose that lifestyle, we don't want to discriminate you, but you shouldn't affect the young people.  How terrible. ... They're going to be confused. You see two men go into a bedroom. You see two women kissing. Is that not confusing? It's confusing.  It is actually, what you call, suggestive, for the kids to be corrupt, which is against nature. I'm telling you, anything that is against nature is not right.”

Astonishingly, she reveals her über-deceptive, wishy-washy, wussified political strategy by going on to say:
·         “We do not want to attack any group.  I'm respectful of their choices, right? Even though I don't believe that, but they're free people, they can do whatever they want to do. But ... don't just come back and say you're being discriminated.”

Tangential Dumbass
Her entire circle likely shares her homophobic views.  Jeff Bazan, her former Chief of Policy said to her in the recording:

·        “The road we're going ... incest and being able to marry animals, that's all going to happen.”  In an apology he said he “deeply regretted” saying that.  Whatever, idiot.  You said it and you meant it.  There’s no undoing it.

Personal note to Ms. Chan:
That you, an Asian minority can rail against another minority is staggeringly ironic and contradictory considering the oppression of and discrimination against Asians in the U.S. over the years. 

While the “plumbing” men and women have was, in fact, designed to reproduce, one’s attraction to a person of the same sex is no more a choice than one’s liking or disliking of, say, broccoli or a particular song.  Why someone likes or dislikes something is infinitely more complex than any of us can possibly understand, and is most certainly decided at the genetic level.  I like liver and onions.  Not everyone does.  I can’t tell you why I like liver and onions, but I like it.  I choose to eat liver because I like it.  Why I like it is ingrained in me somehow, somewhere I’ll never understand; nor will you.

You have the right to say and believe whatever you want to say and believe.  It is, as you said in a recent news conference, free speech.  What I find particularly telling about your politics, is that you only took this social stand after your true opinion on homosexuality was made public.  Your strategic intent to slither around the issue, as evidenced in the recordings, is downright offensive.  If you believe something, say it.  Don’t play both sides of the fence.  Why can’t politicians just say what they believe?  I’ll tell you why – Because power means more than service to most all of them.

I don’t care if you’re repulsed by homosexuality.  It really doesn’t matter to me in the least.  What does matter to me is that you believe your fellow citizens and human beings should be afforded fewer protections and rights because of something they cannot control.  Do gay people choose to like, love, marry and have sex with people of the same sex?  Sure they do; just like heterosexuals do.  What you need to ask yourself is why – Why heterosexuals and homosexuals alike choose to be attracted to the people they do.  You and I will likely never know the answer to that question.

In the end, Ms. Chan, you simply need to live and let live.  Gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered people are just that – People.  If they’re not living to your standards, pay them no mind, but don’t ever think your opinions and points of view on human sexuality and relationships are more righteous than anyone else’s.  And don’t ever think you have the right to oppress and discriminate based on sexual preference or identity.

Links
My SA Story
The New Civil Rights Movement website
Texas Observer




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written post. I too am waiting to see what type of legislation she comes up with.

I suspect that many people have her point of view. Because they have not voiced it, does it make them any less wrong?

Many San Antonians are in an uproar over her comments. This Joker is not. To me, she can say what she wants. It is her opinion. And the one thing I will give her credit for is that she has always used "I" statements. Meaning, she has always taken personal responsibility for her words.

I will reserve my anger or dismiss my anger once I see what policies come out of that office. If there are restrictions because of Homosexuality then I will be tremendously upset and will let her know so....

However, if the policies coming out are fair an equitable, she can say whatever she wants. All it means to me is that in this one area we are dealing with a brand of stupid in her that is all too common.

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that the person that taped those meetings has never been identified. There are some things that need to be kept behind closed doors and that motherfucker is getting away with espionage. You wanna do that unethical shit? Go join the NSA!

Carlos said...

Thanks.

I just hate that this shit is even a topic of discussion.

- If people are gay, I don't care.
- If people don't approve of others being gay, I don't care. Just don't treat them any differently because of that.

Pretty simple, I think.

And the taping...yeah...Taping in a public forum is one thing; taping in a private meeting - not so cool.

As for politicians - I'm so sick and tired of slippery politicians who can't speak without 800 handlers massaging their words to make sure they don't say something wrong. Fuck, just come out and say what you want to say. Own it. If you slip and say something wrong, or the press fucks it up, own it and move on.

I'm sick of that just as I'm sick of people giving "emotional" statements on TV about, for example, Little Johnny being hauled off by a rabid pit bull. They cry without tears, and don't care enough about the situation to speak from the heart. They have to read it robotically, in a "See Spot Run" cadence. Do you really need a script to tell the world you're devastated by a loss and blah blah blah?

Sheesh. :-)